Quest Vitamins LTD,
8 Venture Way,
Aston Science Park,
Tel: 0121 359 0056
Fax: 0121 359 0313
Registered in England No. 2530437
The common cold is an Infection of the upper respiratory tract, causing symptoms of sneezing and a mucous discharge from the nose. Most people, especially children, suffer from colds several times each year.
A cold has no recognised cure, although a healthy Immune System is the best defence. There are over two hundred various cold viruses and it takes time to build immunity to most forms. Children are most vulnerable, as they are more likely to be exposed to different strains of the virus without the aid of any natural resistance.
Vitamin A (4)
Vitamin C (1)
HOMOEOPATHY: Onset of cold or flu
Aconite or Ferrum phos. if taken early enough, will often seem to prevent a viral illness from taking hold. If the illness progresses, take note of the symptom picture as it develops and follow with a medicine from the list headed "worsening cold or flu".
Sudden onset especially after exposure to intense cold.
Rapidly developing shivers, high fever, sneezing.
May be hot or cold or flushed.
May feel anxious or upset.
Cold gradually creeps up on you.
Low grade fever.
Cough may be dry or moist.
HOMOEOPATHY: Worsening cold or flu
Profuse runny nose and sore watery Eyes.
Sneezing may be violent.
Starts in cold weather, especially cold dry wind.
Stuffed up nose at night, may run in the day.
Head cold with or without Sore Throat, back ache.
Very shivery, cannot get warm.
Irritable and intolerant.
Very chilly, unable to warm up.
Nose runny and burning.
May be anxious and restless and often thirsty.
Gradual onset, often in mild, damp weather.
Low grade fever but mentally dulled.
Marked aching of head and neck, spreads to limbs.
Shivers up and down spine.
Arms and legs feel heavy and weak.
May follow getting wet and cold.
Restless with marked Pain in limbs.
Chilly, must be covered up.
Alternating fever and shivering.
Tickly Cough preceding or with Pains.
Colds tend to go straight to the chest.
Breathing dry and Painful, often accompanied by a splitting Headache.
Later stages of a cold with yellow green Catarrh.
Nose stuffed up at night and indoors.
Runny nose outdoors and in the day.
Feels better in open air.
Severe Sore Throat with coated tonsils and tongue, and Bad breath.
Infected nasal Catarrh and chesty Cough with green phlegm.
1. Hemila H. Does Vitamin C alleviate symptoms of the common cold?-a review of current evidence. Scand J Infect Dis 26: 1-6, 1994.
2. Eby G, Davis DR, Halcomb WW. Reduction in duration of common colds by Zinc gluconate lozenges in a double-blind study. Antimicrobial Agents Chemotherapy 1984;25:20-24.
3. Melchart D, Linde K, Worku F, et al. Immunomodulation with Echinacea—a systematic review of controlled clinical trials. Phytomedicine 1994;1:245-54 [review].
4. Glasziou PP, Mackerras DE: Vitamin A supplementation in infectious diseases - a meta-analysis, British Medical Journal, 306(6874), Feb 1993, p 366-370.
5. Elnima EI, et al: The antimicrobial activity of Garlic and onion extracts, Pharmazie, 38(11), Nov 1983, p 747-748.
6. Pompei R, et al: Glycyrrhizic acid inhibits virus growth and inactivates virus particles, Nature, 281(5733), Oct 1979, p 689-690.