Asthma is a chronic respiratory disorder characterised by wheezy breathing that may be continuous and paroxysmal. A Cough that produces sticky mucoid sputum is symptomatic.
It is a condition of allergic origin that is marked by laboured breathing. Ten million sufferers usually experience Coughing, gasping, and chest constriction.
Typically, boys under the age of ten are most often affected, then mature out of this ailment by adulthood. One-third of the asthmatic cases develop in individuals between the ages of ten and thirty, involving males and females equally.
Ginkgo biloba (9)
Liquorice Root (10)
Slippery Elm (11)
Evening Primrose Oil (1)
Fish Oil (1)
Vitamin B6 (4)
Vitamin B12 (5)
Vitamin C (6,7,8)
Vitamin E (12)
1. Stenius-Aarniala B, Aro A, Hakaulinen A, et al. Evening Primrose Oil and Fish Oil are ineffective as supplementary treatment of bronchial asthma. Ann Allergy 62(6): 534-547, 1989.
2. Rolla G, et al. Magnesium attenuates methacholine-induced bronchoconstriction in asthmatics. Magnesium 6(4): 201-204, 1987.
3. Hasselmark L, Malmgren R, Zetterstrom O, Unge G. Selenium supplementation in intrinsic asthma. Allerg 1993;48:30-36.
4. Collip PJ, et al. Pyridoxine treatment of childhood bronchiole asthma. Ann Allergy 1975; 35:93-97.
5. Simon RA, et al. Sulfite-sensitive asthma. Res Instit Scripps Clin Sci Rep 1982-83; 39:57-58.
6.ZuSkin E et al. Byssinosis and airway responses due to exposure to textile dust. Lung 1976;154:17-24.
7. Bucca C, Rolla G, Oliva A, Farina J-C. Effect of Vitamin C on histamine bronchial responsiveness of patients with allergic rhinitis. Ann Allerg 1990;65:311-14.
8. RuSkin SL. Sodium ascorbate in the treatment of allergic disturbances. The role of adrenal cortical hormone-Sodium-Vitamin C. Am J Dig Dis 1947;14:302-306.
9. Li M, Yang B, Yu H, Zhang H. Clinical observation of the therapeutic effect of ginkgo leaf concentrated oral liquor on bronchial asthma. Chinese J Integrative & Western Med 1997;3:264-67.
10. Anderson DM, et al. The antitussive activity of glycyrrhetinic acid and its derivatives. J Phar and Pharmacol 1961; 13:396-404.
11. Smith HH. Ethnobotany of the Ojibwe Indians, Bulletin of the Public Museum, 4(3). Milwaukee, 1932.
12. Britton JR; Pavord ID; Richards KA; Knox AJ; Wisniewski AF; Lewis SA; Tattersfield AE; Weiss ST: Dietary antioxidant vitamin intake and lung function in the general population, Am J Respir Crit Care Med: 151:5:1383-7 (1995)
Print this page